Saturday, December 13, 2008

Bangladesh on youtube: the lighter side

There are a lot of lighter sides to life over here in Bangladesh. In addition to the daily amusements that local people and customs provide, expats also have fairly regular opportunities to engage in a variety of ridiculous behaviour. Some of these end up on youtube. Bless the internet and how easy it is to publicly embarrass ourselves these days. To date, I have kept my own appearances under wraps, but I have realized that I'm being selfish and that you all deserve to have a good laugh at me.

Ittadi

Every year after Eid-ul-Fitr, Bangladesh's most famous TV celebrity, Hanif Sanket, produces and hosts a variety show known as Ittadi (Etcetera). And ever year, he puts the whole of Bangladesh (literally everyone with access to a TV) in stitches with a skit acted out by bideshis (foreigners). Last year I was cast as the 'egg girl'. Sounds insignificant, but secretly I'm the star of the whole show; my trip to the shop to buy 4 local eggs leads me right into the thick of the evil thugs beating up the poor hero, and by running off to tell my friends we manage to foil the plot so that the rich heroine and her poor prince can live happily ever after. You'll also see me as a dancer, shaking my hips and grinning like an idiot.

Glitter Ball

Another annual tradition in Bangladesh is the Glitter Ball. Hosted by the Aussie community, it's essentially a chance for expats living in Dhaka to put their imaginations and their tailors to the test to come up with incredible themed outfits that - yes, you guessed it - glitter. There is also a skit competition, in which a lot of ridiculous, crude and occasionally funny things take place. This year was my third (yes third) Glitter Ball. Last year I was fortunate enough to be part of a group that put on the most outrageous, funniest skit Dhaka has probably ever seen. For better or for worse, it's not on youtube. This year, we won again with a skit that isn't quite as funny, but definitely entertains. I play Miss England, and once again you'll get to see me shaking my hips and grinning like an idiot (there seems to be a theme going on here...).

Watch Glitter Ball 2008, Part I
Watch other clips from Glitter Ball 2008

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home